Cambridge English First (FCE) | First Certificate in English
Cambridge English First (updated from January 2015)
What is Cambridge English First (FCE)?
First Certificate in English is an examination at an intermediate level, requiring competence in all the language skills, set at level B2 of the Council of Europe's Common Framework for languages.
At B2 level typical users can be expected to:
- understand the main ideas of complex pieces of writing
- keep up a conversation on a fairly wide range of topics, expressing opinions and presenting arguments
- produce clear, detailed writing, expressing opinions and explaining the advantages and disadvantages of different points of view.
Format of the exam
- Reading & Use of English (1 hour 15 minutes)
- Writing (1 hour 20 minutes)
- Listening (40 minutes)
- Speaking (approx 14 minutes)
Please click here for further details about the exam format.
Flexible Test Options
The First Certificate in English can be taken as standard test (pencil and paper) or computer-based:
- Standard (pencil and paper)
Computer-based Exams: free sample test
Watch this tutorial before you try the practice tests below, this will help you understand what you need to do.
Here you can find some useful tips for your exam.
Available Dates and Prices
Please check all available First Certificate in Englsih exam dates and prices by clicking on the following link:
overview dates and prices
|Support for Candidates||Support for Teachers|
|Online Practice Test
|Handbook for teachers
order hardcopy here
|Past Paper Pack for candidates
|Past Paper Pack for the classroom
| Top Tips Booklet
|Speaking Test Preparation Pack