Cambridge English Advanced | Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
Cambridge English Advanced (new exam format from January 2015)
What is Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)?
Certificate in Advanced English is an examination at an advanced level, requiring competence in all the language skills, set at level C1 of the Council of Europe's Common Framework for languages.
At C1 level typical users can be expected to:
- handle a wide range of routine and non-routine situations in which professional services are requested from a colleague or external contacts
- contribute effectively to meetings and seminars within own area of work and argue for or against a case
- understand correspondence expressed in non-standard language
Format of the exam
- Reading & Use of English (1 hour 30 minutes)
- Writing (1 hour 30 minutes)
- Listening (40 minutes)
- Speaking (approx 15 minutes)
Please click here for further details about the exam format.
Flexible Test Options
The Certificate of Advanced English can be taken as standard test (pencil and paper) or computer-based:
- Standard (pencil and paper)
Computer-based Exams: free sample test
Watch this tutorial before you try the practice tests below, this will help you understand what you need to do.
Here you can find some useful tips for your exam.
Available Dates and Prices
Please check all available Advanced Certificate exam dates and prices by clicking on the following link:
overview dates and prices
Support for Candidates
Support for Teachers
|Online Practice Test
|Handbook for teachers
order hardcopy here
|Past Paper Pack for candidates
|Past Paper Pack for the classroom
| Top Tips Booklet
|Speaking Test Preparation Pack incl. DVD